King of Scotts

King of Scotts

Royal family

Tree:  

Matches 51 to 100 of 237    » Thumbnails Only     » Slide Show

«Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next»

   Thumb   Description   Linked to 
51
William Canmore known as Willima the Lion
William Canmore known as Willima the Lion
Personal Collection 
 
52
William Cavenish
William Cavenish
Personal Collection 
 
53
William Douglas
William Douglas
Personal Collection 
 
54
William Hendrik
William Hendrik
Personal Collection 
 
55
William Hendrik
William Hendrik
Personal Collection 
 
56
William Hendrik and Mary Stuart
William Hendrik and Mary Stuart
Personal Collection 
 
57
Edgar Canmore
Edgar Canmore
Personal Collection 
 
58
Malcolm Canmore III
Malcolm Canmore III
Personal Collection 
 
59
Malcom Canmore
Malcom Canmore
Personal Collection 
 
60
Malcon Canmore known as Malcom the Maiden.
Malcon Canmore known as Malcom the Maiden.
Personal Collection 
 
61
Lady Saltoun
Lady Saltoun
About Lady Saltoun
Lady Saltoun is Chief of the whole name and Arms of Fraser. She is an elected member of the House of Lords, and spends 3-4 days a week in London. Her home is now in Aberdeenshire, near Braemar. Her interests apart from Politics are Reading, Genealogy, Needlework, Listening to Music, Cooking and Gardening. She was born in 1930, is a widow and has 3 daughters and 7 grand-children.

 
 
62
Philbroth Castle, seat of the Frasers
See http://www.fraserchief.co.uk/history.html
Philbroth Castle, seat of the Frasers See http://www.fraserchief.co.uk/history.html
Cairnbulg Castle (formerly Philorth)

Cairnbulg Castle is of interest for three reasons. It is one of the oldest buildings in Aberdeenshire still to be inhabited by the family who built it, whose home it is. It is of great interest to students of mediaeval Castles and architecture, for there are many gaps in our knowledge of its history, and so much scope for study and speculation. Finally, it contains a collection of family portraits which is rare in Scotland, not because most of them are by painters of any distinction, for they are not, but because there is a portrait of every laird since 1570, and in many cases of their wives, brothers, sisters or in-laws, and this is very unusual.

Situation

In the years before 1308-9, the Comyns, Earls of Buchan, held all the land in this part of Aberdeenshire which is still known as Buchan. Before the defeat of the Norse at the battle of Largs in 1263 and the death of King Haakon in the following year, the coast of Buchan was exposed to their invasions. The Earls of Buchan were responsible for coastal defence and built a number of Castles round the coast of which the first stone Castle here was probably one.

Although the site does not nowadays appear to be near enough to the coast to be much use for coastal defence, there are strong reasons for supposing that at the time it was built, it was actually right on the estuary of the Water of Philorth, and its old name, Philorth, actually means "Pool of the river Orth". The site may not have been dissimilar to that of Red Castle at Lunan Bay, just south of Montrose. On this particular stretch of coast, the sea has been receding over the last few hundred years. The soils, levels, stones, etc., in the fields on the seaward side of the Castle mound show every sign of having been the bed of a tidal river, if not the sea shore itself. An old print shows a ship beached on the shore and boats drawn up along it, not far from the foot of the mound. The sand dunes between Fraserburgh and Cairnbulg Point probably only grew up during the 19th and 20th centuries. The author remembers that in her childhood there was a large expanse of flat sand with no dunes at all from a point opposite Philorth Bridge right to the present mouth of the river, and the river itself was still changing course. It only settled finally in its present course in the late 1930s, and the dunes opposite the castle have grown up since 1940. Until then it was possible to see the sea from ground floor level.

Destroyed

In the Wars of Independence, the Comyns sided with the English against Robert I (the Bruce), and after he had defeated them at the battle of Barra Hill in the winter of 1308-1309, he carried out an operation known as the Harrying of Buchan, in which he destroyed all the Castles of the Earldom, so that they could never again be held against him, and he forfeited the Earldom and divided it up among various of his supporters. The Earl of Ross, who had eventually joined Bruce, received this part of Buchan and the ruins of the first castle.

Rebuilt by Frasers

In 1375 the daughter and co-heiress of the 5th Earl of Ross, Joanna, married Sir Alexander Fraser of Cowie, whose grandfather had been Sir Alexander Fraser, Bruce's Chamberlain, married to his sister Mary, widow of Sir Neil Campbell of Lochow (Lochawe). The Ross lands in Buchan were Joanna's tocher ( English: dowry ), and probably c. 1380 they restored the Castle, at least the main tower appears to date from that time. Either then or later were added a courtyard and outbuildings to the east of the tower, where there are still foundations of buildings underground. Note the foundations of the tower which are just huge stones placed on the clay mound which forms the site, and which can be seen outside.

At some stage, possibly not much later, the staircase tower was added and a wing running east from it, and probably later still, possibly at the time of the war of the Rough Wooing when Henry VIII tried to marry his son Edward to the young Mary Queen of Scots in 1545, the round tower was built and also the part of the castle now comprising the front hall and the room above it. The exact dates when any part of the Castle was built are a matter of speculation. What we do know from the masonry and various pictures of it when a ruin, is that it has been altered a number of times. At the foot of the round tower the old gun loops are still to be seen, one designed to fire north along the east face of the courtyard wall, covering the entrance gateway which was at the north-east corner of the east wall of the court-yard; one to fire south-east where the only dry ground was; and one to fire west along the south face of the range between the two towers, which was narrower than the present house; and one at first floor level above the latter.

Sold

The family continued here at the Castle, the old Manor Place of Philorth, until the late 16th century. In the last quarter of that century, Sir Alexander Fraser, 8th of Philorth, built the town of Fraserburgh, improved the Harbour and founded a University there and built another Castle to which he moved and which was until recently the Kinnaird Head Lighthouse. As a result he got heavily into debt and in 1613 was obliged to sell this Castle and a great deal of land. The Castle was sold to Alexander Fraser of Durris on condition that should he or his descendants ever wish to sell it, they would first offer it to Sir Alexander or his descendants. The agreement was not honoured and the Castle passed from one family to another. From 1613 to 1631 or 1637 it belonged to Fraser of Durris, then until 1703 to Fraser of Muchalls (created Lord Fraser), then until 1739 to Thomas Buchan of Auchmacoy and his son, then until 1775 to Alexander Aberdein and his son. From 1775 to 1801 it belonged to George, 3rd Earl of Aberdeen, who vandalised it to build and improve other houses in the district in which he kept his mistresses. By 1780 both towers were in a ruinous condition, and the building in between a ruin. After him it belonged to his illegitimate son John Gordon. In 1863 the ruin was bought by Mr. Duthie of the Aberdeen shipbuilding firm who built and owned the famous tea clippers. In 1896 his nephew, Sir John Duthie, restored the Castle using granite which was his wife's tocher from her father who was a stone merchant. Their initials and motto are over the present front door. He died in 1923 .

Back in the family

In 1934 the late Lord Saltoun, 11th in descent from the 8th Laird, bought it back and modernised it. From 1966 to 1997 it belonged to Lady Saltoun, who did further modernisation in 1966. In 1989-90 extensive repairs were done and both towers, the staircase tower and the west face were re-harled. Since 1997 it has belonged to The Hon. Mrs. Nicolson, Lady Saltoun's eldest daughter. THE CASTLE IS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. To make an appointment, write to her at Cairnbulg Castle, Fraserburgh, AB43 8TN.

 
 
63
James Stewart III King of Scots
James Stewart III King of Scots
His burial place in front of Arbroath Abbey 
 
64
King John
King John
Personal Collection 
 
65
Henry VI
Henry VI
This stone can be found in the front of the Tower of London where he was murdered. Each year on the anniversary of Henry VI's death, the Provosts of Eton and King's College, Cambridge, lay roses and lilies on the altar which now stands where he died.
 
 
66
Edward VI
Edward VI
Personal Collection 
 
67
Eleanor of Castile
Eleanor of Castile
In the thirteenth century, embalming involved evisceration. Eleanor's viscera were buried in Lincoln Cathedral, where Edward placed a duplicate of the Westminster tomb 
 
68
Henry VI
Henry VI
Personal Collection 
 
69
Henry VII
Henry VII
Personal Collection 
 
70
Lavinia Bingham
Lavinia Bingham
Personal Collection 
 
71
Edward III
Edward III
Personal Collection 
 
72
Francis III
Francis III
Personal Collection 
 
73
Henry III
Henry III
Personal Collection 
 
74
Henry III of France
Henry III of France
Personal Collection 
 
75
Louis XIII of France
Louis XIII of France
Personal Collection 
 
76
Louis XIII of France and Anne of Austria
Louis XIII of France and Anne of Austria
Personal Collection 
 
77
Henry IV of England
Henry IV of England
Personal Collection 
 
78
Louis XIV of France
Louis XIV of France
Personal Collection 
 
79
Edinburgh Castle
Edinburgh Castle
Personal Collection 
 
80
Anne of Denmark
Anne of Denmark
Personal Collection 
 
81
Berengaria Queen of England
Berengaria Queen of England
Personal Collection 
 
82
Charles Stuart
Charles Stuart
Personal Collection 
 
83
Duncan MacCrinan
Duncan MacCrinan
Personal Collection 
 
84
Dunfirmline Abby
Dunfirmline Abby
Personal Collection 
 
85
Edmund I Earl of Lancaster
Edmund I Earl of Lancaster
Personal Collection 
 
86
Edward I of England
Edward I of England
Personal Collection 
 
87
Edward II
Edward II
Personal Collection 
 
88
Edward II
Edward II
Personal Collection 
 
89
Edward II
Edward II
Personal Collection 
 
90
Edward III
Edward III
Personal Collection 
 
91
Edward of Woodstock The Black Prince
Edward of Woodstock The Black Prince
Personal Collection 
 
92
Edward Spencer
Edward Spencer
From MelissaMHolt, Holt Family Tree, in Ancestry 
 
93
Edward The Black Prince
Edward The Black Prince
Personal Collection 
 
94
Eleanor of Castile
Eleanor of Castile
Personal Collection 
 
95
Eleanor of Castile
Eleanor of Castile
Personal Collection 
 
96
Eleanor of Prevence
Eleanor of Prevence
Personal Collection 
 
97
Eleanor of Woodstock
Eleanor of Woodstock
Personal Collection 
 
98
Eleanor Stewart
Eleanor Stewart
Personal Collection 
 
99
Eleanora Aquitaine
Eleanora Aquitaine
Personal Collection 
 
100
Elizabeth de Burgh
Elizabeth de Burgh
Personal Collection 
 

«Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next»
Home Page |  What's New |  Most Wanted |  Surnames |  Photos |  Histories |  Documents |  Cemeteries |  Places |  Dates |  Reports |  Sources