Thomas Quincy Adams, II

Thomas Quincy Adams, II

Male 1832 - 1919  (86 years)

Personal Information    |    Media    |    Notes    |    Event Map    |    All

  • Name Thomas Quincy Adams, II 
    Suffix II 
    Born 24 Feb 1832  Belfast, County Antrim, Ireland Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    Died 14 Feb 1919  Napa, Napa County, California Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Buried Tulocay Cemetery Napa, Napa County, California Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID I616666652  Eby/Aebi and Bernethy Family
    Last Modified 9 Nov 2012 

    Father Thomas Quincy Adams, I,   b. Sep 1801, Belfast, County Antrim, Ireland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Abt 1870, England Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age ~ 68 years) 
    Mother Agnes Ann Fergueson,   b. 1804, Belfast, County Antrim, Ireland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 1834, Belfast, County Antrim, Ireland Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 30 years) 
    Family ID F246729424356  Group Sheet

    Family Elizabeth Holland,   b. 24 Jun 1842, Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 05 Feb 1925, Napa, Napa County, California Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 82 years) 
    Married 25 Nov 1858  Rutland, La Salle County, Illinois Find all individuals with events at this location 
     1. Thomas Quincy Adams, III,   b. 14 Oct 1859, Lacon, Marshall County, Illinois Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 11 Oct 1913, Harrison County, Iowa Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 53 years)
     2. Elizabeth Adams,   b. 16 Sep 1861, Lacon, Marshall County, Illinois Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 26 Mar 1904, Jewell County, Kansas Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 42 years)
     3. Anna Isabelle Adams,   b. 26 Dec 1863, Rutland, La Salle County, Illinois Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 31 Jan 1944, McAllen, Hidalgo County, Texas Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 80 years)
    +4. William Sherman Adams,   b. 16 Mar 1866, Lacon, Marshall County, Illinois Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 17 Apr 1949, Neodesha, Wilson County, Kansas Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 83 years)
     5. Mary Jane Adams,   b. 06 Sep 1868, Washington County, Kansas Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 09 Apr 1912, Northbranch, Jewell County, Kansas Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 43 years)
     6. John Charles Adams,   b. 02 Feb 1870, Riddle Creek Homestead, Washington County, Kansas Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 12 Apr 1940, Napa, Napa County, California Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 70 years)
     7. Ida Louise Adams,   b. 06 Apr 1873, Washington County, Kansas Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 06 Dec 1950, Englewood, Clark County, Kansas Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 77 years)
     8. Agnes Elizabeth Adams,   b. 27 Apr 1875, Washington County, Kansas Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 15 Apr 1952, Napa, Napa County, California Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 76 years)
     9. Katherine Della Adams,   b. 04 Jul 1877, Washington County, Kansas Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 28 Jan 1925, Napa, Napa County, California Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 47 years)
     10. James Garfield Adams,   b. 27 Nov 1879, Hollenberg, Washington County, Kansas Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 18 Nov 1952, Boise, Ada County, Idaho Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 72 years)
     11. Grace Lillie Adams,   b. 15 Feb 1882, Washington County, Kansas Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 11 Mar 1950, Laverne, Harper County, Oklahoma Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 68 years)
    +12. Pearl S Adams,   b. 06 Sep 1884, Salt Creek, Chautauqua County, Kansas Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 01 Sep 1915, Napa, Napa County, California Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 30 years)
    Last Modified 26 Jul 2012 
    Family ID F546578822  Group Sheet

  • Event Map
    Link to Google MapsBorn - 24 Feb 1832 - Belfast, County Antrim, Ireland Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsMarried - 25 Nov 1858 - Rutland, La Salle County, Illinois Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsDied - 14 Feb 1919 - Napa, Napa County, California Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsBuried - - Tulocay Cemetery Napa, Napa County, California Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Maps 
     = Link to Google Earth 
    Pin Legend  : Address       : Location       : City/Town       : County/Shire       : State/Province       : Country       : Not Set

  • Photos
    Thomas Qunicy Adams II with possible daughter Elizabeth Adams and som Thomas Q Adams
    Thomas Qunicy Adams II with possible daughter Elizabeth Adams and som Thomas Q Adams
    Contributed by "Langhamr_1" to Ancestry.

    A note that was attached:
    note from Rhonda: there is no writing on the back of this photo. However, I believe it is of Thomas Quincy Adams for several reasons: 1. the type of photo and the clothes are representative of the style around the Civil War. 2. The photo was amongst other photos of Anna Isabelle Adams. 3. The eyes of the children are very similar in shape to Anna Isabelles'; I believe there is a strong enough family resemblance to her and a strong enough resemblance of the man to the males in my family to make this determination. If so, it is the only photo I've ever seen of Thomas Adams.

    John Charles Adams and parents Thomas Qunicey and Elizabeth Holland Adams
    John Charles Adams and parents Thomas Qunicey and Elizabeth Holland Adams
    Contributed by "Roberta S Terry" in Ancestry

  • Notes 
    • 1860 Census he is living with his in-laws, William and Mary Jane Holland with his and Elizabeths son Thomas.
      1870 Census Mill Creek, Washington, Kansas as Thos ADAMS
      1880 Census Hollenburg, Washington, Kansas as Thomas ADAMS
      1900 Census Lowe, Washington, Kansas as Thomas ADAMS
      1910 Census Napa, Napa, California as Thomas ADAMS

    • Found in Ancestry:

      After his mother's death in 1834, Thomas lived mainly with his unmarried paternal aunts. He lived with his father in Belfast for a short time after he remarried, but ultimately returned to live with his aunts in the country. In 1850, Thomas and his aunts emigrated to Pittsburg, Pennsylvania via New York. Their passage was paid by his uncles James and William Adams, who were already there. After working to repay his passage, Thomas went to Illinois, where wages were better. There, he married a young woman who was nursing a sick friend of his. After the Civil War broke out, Thomas enlisted in the Union Army on August 9, 1862, rather than be drafted. He expected the war to be over in 6 months but instead it lasted three more years. He participated in the burning of Atlanta with General William Tecumseh Sherman in the summer of 1864. After the war and in the Spring of 1868, Thomas loaded his family and belongings in a covered wagon and headed west from Illinois to homestead land in Washington County, Kansas. His wife's family accompanied them. Together this grand old couple lived through the tough times of those days, establishing a home in a new and strange land and raising a family of 12 children. They faced many hardships on the prairie, including drought, grasshoppers, famine, and lost crops. They were devout Christians and lived the part. He did some preaching. In 1890 he established a small country store and became postmaster in a place they called Gaskill, Kansas. In 1905 they sold out and moved to Napa, California where they remained untill death. They are both buried there.
    • Dear Son Jim: You have set me a rather hard task but I can not refuse your request for a short history of my life. So without making any rash promises as to its completeness, I will proceed to do the best I can.

      Chapter I
      I was born on the 24th day of February, 1832 in Browne Square in the City of Belfast, Ireland. Belfast is or was a large ship building and factory town with large cotton factories. My fatheris name was the same as mine. My. mother's name was Agnes Fergeson. My mother died when I was a little over two years old, but I still have a dim recollection of her a& she lay on her death bed. I loved her then, and I still cherish her memory. My father's and mother's people were all Scotch. After mother's death, my fathers' sisters took me to raise, and so I went to Grandfather Adams. His home was in the country about 30 miles from Belfast in the best part of Ireland County Antrim. I remember my grandfather Adams well. He kept bees and I have never tasted as good honey as some I ate then. My father was a ship carpenter and at mother's death he broke up housekeeping. I had no brothers and but one sister, who Grandma Fergeson took charge of. I remember Grandma Fergeson well. In after years she was very kind to me and gave me lots of ginger bread -great square chunks of it, and candy was mostly all licorice black as tar. But the ginger bread was good and so was the licorice. My young boyhood days were spent romping around out of doors from morning 'til night. My aunts did try to keep me in the house part of the time, but it was no go. I could not be kept indoors winter or summer. I was either wading in the creek or running over the hills. Never had shoes on my feet or a hat or cap on my head until I was 7 or 8 years old. Those were happy days for me, but my aunts were afraid all the time that I would get drowned or fall over a cliff and break my neck, I did have some narrow escapes. My three aunts never married so I had no playmates in my very young days. I had plenty to eat but not many clothes those days, and of course it was hard to keep me covered, running wild as I did. They tried to take good care of me, but I was too much for them and I guess a very wild boy.

      Chapter II
      About this time father married a second time and took up housekeeping and, of course, he wanted his children with me, so my aunts took me to him. He was then living at No. 57 Sarah Street, Belfast, in a two story house of 4 rooms. Oh what a change for me from the free country life -now shut up in towns not allowed out of doors. Besides, I did not like my stepmother, and from the way she treated me I know there was no love lost between us. She was not very cruel to me, but she was not kind. I was in a prison and not happy. About two years of this kind of life was all I could stand, and so I determined to leave and return to my aunts in the country. I knew I could get away only running away, so I took my sister into my confidence and I got her to find out for me the right way out of town in the direction I wanted to go to My sister kind and true to me, put a lunch in my pocket. It was clear in 2. the morning I stole out and away. As soon as I got out of the city I hit the high places for a while. The weather was fine and When I became tired running, I walked. I did feel lonesome for a while until I overtook two freight wagons. They were going my way, so I made up my mind to stay with them. I walked along with them until one of the drivers took me on the wagon to ride. He was very kind to me let me and first me sleep on top of the load of goods. In fact, I don't see how I could have made the trip had I not met these kind men. My father followed me part of the way, but failed to find me, as I was hidden on the wagon, I rode all the way home to my old stomping ground. I found a great change had taken place while I had been gone.

      Grandfather and Grandmother were both dead and what little property they had left was divided up between my three aunts and one uncle. This uncle had married and my aunts had moved away from the old home and were living by themselves 8 miles away. So early next morning I started to them. They received me gladly and wrote to my father that I had returned to them and that he might as well leave me with them. Now I was happy. I was like a bird let out of a cage. No more city or stepmother for me. My aunts had leased a small house and a few acres of land near a small village. They had two cows and a few fowls and very little money. They sent me to school part of the time. It was a pay school so they could not afford to keep me in school all the time. How well I remember that little stone school house with slate roof, board benches and desks 9 open fireplace. Each pupil carried so much fuel each day for fire to keep us warm in winter. Our pens were all made and repaired by the teacher, Pens were all made from goose quills9 wing feathers clarified. I still think they were better than the present day steel pens. We used slate and penci1 no blackboard. Our school hours were from 8:00 A.M. to 12:00 noon, and from 1:00 P.M. to 5:00 P.M. 9 and 5 1/2 days each week. Now was the time I saw matches. Up to this time it had been flint and steel for kindling fire. Those were the days of flint and steel for fire, horn spoons made from cow horns. My food those days was mush and milk. I never tasted meat or butter. The potato crop failed 3 years in succession and times were very hard. A good many people died of hunger in Ireland. I always had something to eat, but hardly ever enough. In summer time, when not in school, I roamed the fields and hedges in search of wild fruits and birds I nests. In the fall I searched the groves for nuts, chiefly hazel nuts. In the winter I snared wild birds, and so the years rolled by. I must say I was happy boy.

      Once my sister and my aunt (mother's sister) came to see me and tried hard to have me go back with them. But no more Belfast or stepmother for me. I loved sister and aunt and I did hate to let them go without me, but I could not give up my free life. Some time afterwards, my father came after me, but I would not go. He was kind to me and would not force me to go. He stayed with me several days and then went away. He soon after moved from Belfast to Manchester, England, and I never saw him again.

      About this time my uncle, James Adams, sold out and with his wife and one child, emigrated to America and settled in Pennsylvania near my Uncle William Adams. I was left alone with my three old maid aunts, live or die, sink or swim, and still I was happy. About one year after this my Uncle James and William sent passage ticket for one of my aunts, and she left us with the promise to send for us sometime. And the years rolled by. My aunts had to sell the cows and about everything else to live, even giving up the house and land. My two aunts, having sold about everything they had moved into a little sod house which they got rent free. They raised a few fowls, did a little work for which they received very little pay. So the time had now come when I must quit school and work for my board. I had no shoes and very little clothes. My aunts kept rags patched up the best they could. When I left school I had just fairly commenced to learn. I could now read and write and cipher up to common fractions. I had just commenced to study grammar. but having quit school I soon forgot what I had learned.

      The first work I did for my board was carry water to harvest hands and pick up scattered heads of grain and other chores, for my mush and milk. I was fairly content. I went home every night to sleep. Harvesting in those days was all done with hand hooks or mowing scythes for both grain and hay. In the fall and early winter I picked up potatoes and turnips and did other work on the farm, all this for what I could eat of mush and milk, and potatoes and salt. In those days I hardly ever tasted bread and hot meat. In those days potatoes were all planted with spade and dug with spade. In dead of winter I could find nothing to do, so had to go home to my aunts and help them rusile for fuel to make a little fire. We lived mostly on frozen turnips that farmers had overlooked in the fields, and also had some horse beans that we bought cheap. The dear old aunts had no tea, sugar, or coffee. We had heard of them but never saw any. The loss of their cows was a sad loss to them. So passed the first winter.

      When spring came I hired to a farmer for six months for my board and six shillings, or one dollar and a half. So my aunts fixed up my duds and away I went some 5 or 6 miles to my place. I didn't see them again until my time was up, and I returned to them giving them all of my wages. They told me they lived mostly on greens and had raised a few ducks the year before so they had a few duck eggs to sell. With the eggs they bought meal and occasional1y they killed a duck and made soup, and so kept soul and body together. My work that summer had been to herd cows and other necessary work. Part of my chores was to cut grass with a hand hook around fence corners for cows. Those hand hooks were very sharp and one day I cut my left thumb nearly off. I still have the scar to remember it. I got enough to eat- same old mush and milk and potatoes and was treated kindly and so was content and almost happy.

      I now engaged far one year to a man who wove linen. He agreed to teach me to weave linen and give me my board with no wages so I was glad to take his offer. I was now sure of my board for one year. He farmed some and, of course, I had to work and ate no ideal food. This mans name was Boyd and his grandson was some years ago Governor of Nebraska. I stayed the year and old man Boyd did as he agreed. He fed me and taught me to weave coarse linen cloth, but he would no t pay me any wages and I needed clothes, so I struck out to find work that.I could make more than my beard. I was
      not able to do farm work, so I went to weaving, but wages were very low. I made a little and divided with my aunts. So passed 2 years of my young life and still I was happy.

      Now came a great change in my life, my uncles James and William, sent tickets, 2 two whole tickets for my aunts and a half ticket for me. These tickets would carry us from Ireland to Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, USA. They also sent a little money for expenses on the way. We were very glad to go. I hated to leave dear old Ireland with its green fields and mild climate, but I was oh so glad for a chance to better my conditions. We prepared to go. We hired a man to take us in a wagon to the railroad station some 10 miles away. Here I got my first ride on railway, 20 miles to Belfast. This was the first of August. We crossed the Channel on a ship to Liverpool, England the same day we started. Next day we went aboard the ship that was to carry us to New York, There were were no steam ships in those days. We were just 5 weeks and 3 days on the wide Atlantic Ocean. I was seasick just two hour's all that time. My aunts were sick several days and very badly. It was a long dreary trip for me shut up on that ship and nothing but water all around, but we had plenty to eat. The ship boarded us. They had cows, sheep, hog and chickens aboard and I spent a good share of my time watching them and the leaping fish. I was so glad when at last we came insight of land and still more glad when I got my feet on more on terra firma. We had no storms to mention on the way, in fact we would have made the trip in lee time had we had more wind. There were 550 passengers on board. We had very little sickness and only 2 deaths on the way. These were thrown overboard into the sea, which was a solemn sight to me.
      We now landed in the City of New York There we found a little money at the office to bear us on our way and we soon started on towards Pittsburg. Quite a number of the emigrants on our ship were going to Pittsburg , so we all went on board a boat and sailed around the coast and up the Delaware River to Philadelphia. There we marched through the city, strangers in a strange land a very wretched looking crowd from Erin?s lovely home. We now went on board a canal boat drawn by a mule. This was a long dreary trip crowded in like hogs in a car for a week. I walked most of the way. So on to Pittsburg. Our friends there had made arrangements for us, and we were taken to a boarding house where we remained until Uncle William came for us. This was the first time I had seen him and he was very kind. He bought me some clothes and fixed us up in fairly good shape.
      Uncle William took us out to his farm some 9 miles out of town. He was a dark complected heavy set man very much like my Jimmy boy, and like him very good natured. He had been to California and made $2,OOQ dollars six months and so it was California gold that paid my fare to America. (When I passed through Philadelphia , Mother was living there then, so we passed each other on lifes journey to meet again on the Prairies of Illinois.) My Uncle James lived on a rented farm some 20 miles from Pittsburg, so there I went to remain for a long time. I had now reached the land of plenty and away from hunger and hardships, but I was somewhat lomesome for a time. The country was new and strange. To me, it looked wild, all hills and big trees. My folks had a good deal of fun at my expense, but soon I became use to my surroundings and became happy.
      When I landed in America I had never seen a roasting ear, a peach, watermelon, cucumber or pumpkin. All of these things and more were new to me.
      It was expected of me to pay in work for my passage expense, and that was all right. So I went to work for Uncle James, but of course, I did not know how to plow or harness horses. I could not chop wood or milk cows, but I was willing to learn and soon learned to do everything except milk and that I never did learn. In my spare time I roamed the woods and hills, and gathered nuts. I got a dog and hunted coons, opossums and ground hogs, shot squirrels and pheasants, and did indeed enjoy life in America. Uncle Will had given my aunts a house and home on his place and there were comfortable and so the years rolled on. The time had now come for me to go out and work for pay. Six dollars a month was all I could get. Hard work part of the time in winter. I worked for my board but got plenty to eat and was fat and happy all the time. I now got better wages. I hired to a farmer for none dollars per month. I worked for him for 13 months and saved $100. (???) So passed the years. I voted the first time and the ticket was the first Republican ticket. I decided to go to Illinois where the wages were better. There was a family of my acquaintance going and I went with them. We went by boat down the Ohio River and then up the Illinois River to Lacon. We were two weeks on the way. When we landed the weather was cold and wet. I took sick with Malaria fever and was sick for nearly one month. I became very much discouraged for a time, but I got better and got work on a farm at $18.00 per month and good board. Once more I was contented and happy. I help my job for six months when I received a letter from Pennsylvania with news that Uncle James had been killed in a thrashing machine.
      This was sad news to me and now the widow requested me to return and help her to straighten out her affairs. She was Left with 5 little ones, 3 boys and 2 girls, all small. This was quite a sacrifice for me. I was doing well in Illinois, but I could not refuse to go to their assistance and so I went back. This time I went by railroad. I made the trip in three days and found my people in bad shape. I went to work to get things in shape. I stayed with them all winter then when I could do nothing more for them, I decided to return to Illinois. So I settled my affairs and bought 200 Lbs. of flour, 100 Lbs. of bacon and a lot of groceries and gave it to my aunts. So I left to go to Illinois with my comrade. We both found jobs on adjoining farms at $18.00 per month. This was about the first of March and about the first of June my comrade was taken sick of course, I had to look after him. I had to go 20 miles for a doctor. The doctor said the young man had a dangerous abscess in his side and it must be drawn outside or he would surely die. So as the farmer?s wife could not care for him and do the housework and I could not quit my job, I had to go and find a girl to help. So this was the way I happened to find Mother. She agreed to go but was not ready that day, so the farmer went for her the next day. So as I visited my sick comrade I became acquainted with Mother. At that time she seemed to be a very good natured and friendly girl and a hero to work. Somehow I was drawn towards her and I suppose I fell in love with her, or words to that effect. My comrade got well and went to work but my visits continued just the same. Mother and I decided to get married. We knew that we were not ready but we decided to risk is just the same and November 23, 1858 we were quietly married. She came to live with me. I had rented a piece of land on shares and the first year we lived with the man that we rented from. With that mioney I had saved we bought a team of horses and a harness. Here let me give you some of the prices for those days: Wheat $.35 a bushel, corn $.15, flour $.50 a sack, cured meats $.10 a lb., fresh butter $.08 a lb., egg $.03 a dozen, coffee $.19 a lb., Sugar 30 lbs for $1.00, Whiskey $.30 a gallon (same sellsnow for $4.00 and it is just as toasted now as it was then). Dry goods were all cheaper than they are now. My first crop was short. We had frost in every month that year (1859). We did not raise m?n h?we sold what we had, bought a few things we needed, rented another place, and fattened a hog we butchered. It weighed 400 lbs. and made us plenty of meat. Soon after we moved Thomas was born. His birthday was Oct. 14, 1859 and Mother and I were very happy those days.
      Mu crop in 1860 was short again but we had plenty to eat and we were happy. That fall we moved again. Next year our crop was better, but we did not have much ground in crop and prices were very low, but we had enough to live on so did not care. That fall Sis was born. Her birthday was 16th day of September, 1861. The same year the war of the rebellion commenced. The chice bug took my wheat. I had 40 acres planted and never cut a sheaf. My corn was pretty good. My cousin Thomas Adams came out from Pennsylvania to see me and stayed with me 2 months and now came the draft of men to fill up our armies in field of war. As I did not want to be drafted I enlisted on the 9th day of August for 3 years as a volunteer. At that time no one expected the war to last over 6 months and we expected to be home in spring to put in a crop, but alas, it was 3 long weary years before I farmed again. I left Mother with her father and left her and the children enough to live on and sent her nearly all my pay. My memories of the war period of my life are painful to me as I left Mother and the little ones and because so many of my brave comrades laid down their lives on account of the unholy rebellion. But it had to come and I do not regret my part in bringing peace once more to our beloved country. So, as a member of Co. H104 Ill. Voll., I went to war. On the Very first?s day march, I was prostrated with the heat. The weather was very warm and the heavy load I had to carry and the dust and bad drinking water, resulted in my taking diarrhea. I was laid up in a hospital for two weeks. Part of that time I was delirious but I had good care and hit the road again too soon and gave out again. This time I had to be hauled for a time but soon got well and never gave out again. We marched on through Kentucky to Harrisville, Tenn. where we stopped to rest for a time. There the rebels surrounded us 3 to 1. We had a sharp fight and they captured us bag and baggage. I lost a number of my best comrades and friends. The rebels paroled us and we were sent home until exchanged. I got a month?s furlough and went to rest up and this was why Anna was born during the war. We were exchanged and I left home for the last time on April 11, 1863.

      We now joined the main union armies at Murphysboro, Tenn. On June 24, 1863 the army started for Chattanooga and we had to drive the enemy before us. So, we had hot times, driving, fighting and marching. The weather was hot and it rained a great deal, so the roads became deep with mud and so for 6 weeks I don?t believe my spirit was dry, and neither was my shirt. We halted to rest for a week several times and it was about the middle of Sept. when we came in sight of Chattanooga and now came the great battle of Chickamaoga in which many brave men were slain and many more crippled for life. I went through this safe and sound. The battle was not a complete victory for us. True, we captured Chattanooga but at a fearful cost. The rebels surrounded us and nearly starved us out. We had only half rations and part of the time quarter rations and so having no fresh meat or vegetables, we took scurvy. My mouth became raw, my teeth were loose, and that Christmas, to me, was the most miserable of my life, but we got reinforced and drove the rebels off Lookout Mountain and Mission Ridge and sent them whistling south. Spring came and we gathered sorrel and ate and cured the scurvy. The ----- told us to do it as he no meat----. I now had news from home that we had a war girl in the family. Anna was born the 26th of December, 1863. All was ready and on May 1, we started for Atlanta in 1864, 1000,000 strong. After much hard marching and fighting we captured Atlanta on September with all its store. The rebels retreated south.
      We remained at Atlanta and rested up for about one month. Then we got after the rebels and chased them around over hills for about a month but could not catch them and they would not fight us so we let them go and we now got ready for the march to the sea. Having burned Atlanta and everything else around there, on the 16th of November we started 82,000 strong. We took no rations with us, only salt. We lived on the country and we covered a strip of country 40 miles wide. Like the grasshoppers in Kansas we left nothing behind us. We destroyed all railroads, bridges, and left the country a howling wilderness, and on December 21st captured Savannah and an immense amount of stuff. We lived for a time in luxury. Had fresh oysters by the wagon load. We got several shiploads from New York of fresh beef, mutton and pork. We had a good time until January 19, 1865. We started through South Carolina and we left nothing, only the brick walks and chimneys in towns we passed through. They started the trouble and we gave them what was coming to them. We now passed into North Carolina, and at Bentonville we fought over our last fight and whipped them. We rested ten days at Goldsburg and then moved on to Rawley, Capitol of North Carolina. We now heard of Lee's surrender and we were happy and so glad the war was now over, but were made sad by news of Lincoln?s death. We now started to march home and we made good time through Virginia, through Richmond and on to Washington D.C. There we halted for a time and had a big review then took cars for home over long roads. Our marches were over. We were discharged at Chicago land arrived at home on June 20, 1865. Oh, how glad and happy. I had been in all the battles and marches with my regiment and had many narrow escapes, suffering a great deal from exposure and hard marching. By loved ones were glad to see me safe home from the war. When my company H left home for the war we were 1000 strong. There were just 250 of us returned safe and well. I cannot say that I never got a scratch for I did receive a very slight scratch, enough to draw blood in a battle. A sliver of a ball lodged in my scalp over my left ear. The ball had smashed a comrade's head all to pieces. I had a comrade pick the sliver out next day and lost it. I wish I had it now. It was about the size of a goose short. Now the war was over and Mother and I had to make a new start in life. We had very little to start with. Three years of my life were gone but we were glad and happy that my life had been spared and we were able to work for a living. So I rented a farm and we moved to ourselves in the spring of 1866. I planted 80 acres of corn, 12 of wheat. By corn crop was fairly good, but the price of corn went down so low that I made little. I shelled that corn and hauled it and sold it for $.11 a bushel. That year Willy was born. His birthday was March 16, 1866. That year Mother had malaria fever and ague so bad that we had to cut her hair close to her head. We only saved 1000 dollars that year. We now moved away some 60 miles and bought a piece of land and made a small payment balance on time. I put in a crop of flax and corn and both failed to make full crop that year. I was laid up for over two months with oryisephalas in my right foot, had to get help in my work. This year Mother commenced to work out to help as we were very hard up. She sewed and washed for neighbors. I think likely Tommy will remember some things from now on in this narrative. I guess his memory is really better than mine. My sister helped us all she could but we now concluded to go west and take up a homestead. So having sold out that winter, in the early spring of 1868 we started for Kansas in a wagon. We had only about $100 in money and a second class team and wagon, and was overloaded. We started with a cook stove but had to leave it by the way. I left my sister and she soon after married Jas. Calvin. Mother's folks went with us. The day we started a woman stole Mother?s new coat and poor Mother never got another coat for ten years. We had a rough time on the way on account of high water and bad roads, but we finally reached Marysville, Kansas, the point we started for but could not get what we wanted so we started on to Washington, Kansas. We now became separated from Mother ?s folks and went on alone. Vlhen 1""e reached Hanover there were only 2 or 3 houses. We crossed the Blue River We went in to camp in the afternoon , turned the horses out to graze. When I went to hitch them I found one of them badly snakebitten. Its head all swelled up. We did not know what to do but decided to start to Washington where there was a drug store. We started and night overtook us midway bet Mill Creek and the Blue. The horse gave out and we had to stop there. There were no houses then in that country. A bad storm came up in the night. It was a time to try our souls , fearful , awful, strangers alone on the wild prairie. But after a long fearful night, morning came and along to Mill Cr eek. There twe came to a house and stopped. The people were kind to us. I; took one horse went to Washington, a small village then only one frame house . The eothers were log with dirt roofs. I got medicine for the sick horse.
      We stayed on Mill Creek until the horse got well , then we moved on to Washington and finally settled on a homestead. On the eve of June I, 1868 I was very much discouraged. We had spent all of our money except $20, and I wanted to go back east where I knew I could make some kind of living. I was afraid we would starve in that wild country and we did come very near doing so. But Mother thought we had better stay so we fixed up a little cave and moved in. I found some work on Mill Creek at $1.00 a day. I took my wages in rye flour at $5.00 per 100. And so passed the summer. On September 6, 1868, Mary was born. About October, I started back to Missouri River to find work, left my wife and the little ones with her father. I found corn husking to do near White Cloud, Kansas and worked hard there for nearly two months. I then loaded up my wagon with corn meal, a little flour, and John Holland went with me but did not return. In December I started home. I had a long trip and finally found myself near Watterville. That was the end of the railroad at that time. I now made my way home all right with enough provisions to keep us until spring. I found Mother and the chlldren well but oh, they looked like misery?s hlnd quarters. How they lived while I was gone makes me shiver to think of. One thing we had plenty wood for fire, and so the winter passed. About March l, 1869 I started back to Missouri River for another load of provisions and feed. Father Holland made the trip wi th me. This time we moved a family that was going east. In this way we got mom enough to buy our orivisions. We had a heavy load to start with and we had a very rough trip. We nearly perished in a snow storm, a real blizzard on the wild prairie but we finally reached Missouri River and got our load and started home. The ground and roads were soft. Our horses were weak and we had 100 miles to travel. We got through to Hanover and started in to cross the ford. The river was up and full of floating ice and we stuck right in the middle of the river. There we were in the middle of the Blue. The water was in the wagon box and ice gained up all around us. We piled the load on top of the box,. We were in a fix. Yes , the old man lit his pipe and sat down on top of the load. I climbed out on thp wagon tongue, unihitched and rode the horses out, going through the river for help. Andrew Oswalt (God bless him) lived near there. To him I went. He had a :fine strong team of horses and he came and pulled the wagon out. The old man was still smoking. Then ve made our way home all right. We ahd a glad reunion that day. This was in April. We went to work to break prairie and plant sod crop. I worked out when I could find work. Then grasshoppers came and ate up everything. Mother had washed and laid out the clothes to dry. The hoppers were so thick all around that Mother was afraid they would eat the children and her too. The hoppers ate the clothes and left poor baby Mary with nothing to put on. I was away to town. When I came norne , it was desolation sure and plenty. But hope springs eternal. The hoppers stayed 2 days and then left wi t h a clean sweep. We got through thw winter somehow and in early spring J.C. was born. His birthday was February 2 , 1870. I put in some crop but the young hoppers ate most of that. How I got through those times I can never tell. In the spring of 1871 , the state gave us some seed wheat that was a great help to us.and the U.S. gave us some flour and meat. This was a great help also. In the Spring of 1873 Ida was born. Her birthday was April 6, 1873. Time rolled on. In 1875 Aggie was born. Her birthday was April 27, 1875. That fall we all took sick with ague and that was very bad. Some of us worse than others. Quinine was our principal food for a long time. Tommy, poor boy ,was vey sick. It settled in his kidneys and turned to dropsy and he was in an awful state. From the the top of his head to the soles of his feet swelled up so he could neither stand or sit. Everyone who saw him then said he would surely die s but he da d no t think so. Mother and I were alarmed but not discouraged. I got the best doctor in Washington, Dr. Walden. He came and told us what to do and I went every day for medicine and reported to the doctor. In about a week he began to get better and soon after was welL Once again Mother and I were happy. The same soon after ward cured Katie of a very severe a ttack of lung fever . She came near dying at that time. Dr. Walden was a fine physician and a noble man! a doctor at highest price. He took for his pay any kind of produce we had to spare. We had not money. Time. passed on till 1877.
      I thought to better our conditions by going to the Black Hills. There were great reports of gold there. I made a mistake but did it for the best. Instead of bettering our condition it made us worse off than before. I, in company with other neighbors and friends , started on the first of April and returned the first of June, poorer if not wiser men . On the fourth of JuLy that year Kate was born,. Her birthday was July 4, 1877. Some time before I planted a big patch of watermelons and I had a fine crop and hauled them to Washington. I sold them at good prices and with the proceeds bought the first cook stove in Kansas , paying $28.50 for the bare stove, no furniture. When I set up that stove there was a happy group of people at our house. The first cow we bought in vain. Mother and Tommu bought and paid $45.00 for . I now mortgaged to get a little means to go on. I had to pay high interest and heavy bonus. We had run behind and had to have money to square up and get some things we needed badly. In 1879 Jim was born, November 27, 1879. He was the first black head in the family. For luck we were now a little better. We could afford to buy soap, real store soap, clothes and salt for our victuals, a little tea for mother and tobacco for pa. In fact we were now not only rich but well. But there were a thousand and one good things here too numerous to mention. We quit using red roo tea and and pa quit chewing gum bark for tobacco. We had coffee sometimes now and raised hogs and chickens. We waxed fat and foolish. Ma began to plan to get some of the girls married. She actually succeded in getting Anna and Sis married off and later on Tom got himself married off. Willy followed suit and so time passed. Time waits on no one. Grace came to us February 15, 1882. Now came another change.
      We sold out the homestead. We did this to better our condition. We paid up our debts and bought land on Salt Creek. Tommy built a house on the new place and we bought a lot of stock. Fate seemed to be against us this year. The young stock nearly all died of blacj leg. Still, we were better off than before. We now had plenty to eat and some things to wear. In the year 1884, Pearl was born. Just 16 years to the day after Mary, September 6, 1884.
      In the year 1885 we sold out again and moved back to Riddle Creek. Now I will write finish to my memories . The most of you are acquainted with the happenings from this time on until the present. So now if any of you get any satisfaction out of this hop, skip and jump story of my life, please give the credit to Jim. It was he who induced me very reluctantly to start on this, and I feel that he has the hardest part to do to compile this script and put it in type. I hope all will give him due credit and am sure I appreciate his kindness in undertaking this task to perpetuate my memory. There are some things in life that we cannot be sure of. Some we can and I am sure that I am nearing the end of life's journey and in looking back over the road I have traveled I do not regret the trip. Some of the road has been rocky and I know for a fact that I have made very many mistakes . Some of them have been serious. These things cannot be cured now, but I feel better by mention of them. Here let me say that my last days seem to be my best days. I am comfortable and fairly content. Of course, I would be more content if all were nearer to me, but then we can never have everything we want in this changeable world. Here let me say I have always believed in a hereafter and believe it now. There are many things I see as through a glass, darkly But I believe in the goodness and mercies of God and expect, through Jesus Christ to live hereafter in a world where no storms ever come while the years of Eternity roll where no mistakes are made, no heartaches ever come.
      Bye, Bye, Love to aII
      EXTRA Ireland is a land of primroses and daisies. Let me describe the climate and some of the birds of Ireland as I remember them. The climate ?spring, summer, autumn, and winter. Spring is much the same as everywhere, bud and bloom. Summer is mild, no excessive heat, no violent storms, regular rains, no heavy downpours, some light thunder showers. Autumn is much the same as summer except the change in appearance of thingsa. Winter is always some snow but never freezes enough to make it safe to skate on deep water. The country is green all year round, not very much high winds. Summer days are always very long. Midsummer there it barely gets dark when it begins to get clear. I lived in north Ireland. The country is full of blrds, but will mention only two -the lark and cuckcco. The lark is a brown bird, nests on the ground in summer. He is an early riser, raises straight up and goes slowly on straight up, clear out of sight, singing to beat the bando. There are a multitude of larks. He is a very cheerful bird so the adage "Up with the lark".
      The cuckcoo is quite a different bird. He is a large bird, brown In color, some black feathers. He never flies hi gher than 10 feet from the ground and flies swift. On a limb he alights in the spring. They sound cuc koo plai.n and distinct and quite Loud, repeating this 3 times, no more. Then off to the next stopping place and there is enough of him to make things lively mornings. He is attended by a smaller bird that is called the pilot blrd. The cuckcoo is a strange bird. He never builds a nest, never raises any young. When he or she gets ready to lay eggs, he simply finds a robins nest with eggs in it, lays one egg In the nest and goes on. The robin hatches out the whole business. The young cuckcoo being much larger and stronger soon crowds the others out and has all the nest to himself and gets all the feed. So the robin raises the young cuckcoo. The cuckcoo lives thiefly on smalll birds eggs. It is said they do this to keep their voices clear. The fishes of Ireland are speckled trout and salmon and eels. The streams and rivers are clear and cool and well stocked with fish but no person can fish without a license and this is high.
      Mother wants me to describe an incident of my life. The farmer I first worked for sent me one day with a load of flax to the mill to be cleaned. They raise flax in Ireland not for the seed but for the fiber so they load up the two wheeled cart and hitched up a good steady old black horse on the shafts and sent me off in the morning. It was a rather big undertaking foe a rather small boy. I had never driven a horse before but I was keen to go so off I went , mounted on top of the load with two lines , one on each side. I had to go a good many miles but I got to the mill all right about noon. A very hungry small boy I was. I did not have a very big breakfast and no thing to eat with me, so the miller's daughter, a very nice sweet aced young woman, noticed me and asked me if I was hungry. I said "yes" so she took me in the house and gave me a big bowl of nice sweet milk, a plate of potatoes and a big slice of oatmeal bread and told me to eat all I could. I remember I obeyed her to the letter. That was a long time ago, but I can still see her kind sweet face. Well, my load being dressed and loaded and horse hitched up, I started for home in a very cheerful, happy mood. What a difference it makes when one has been good and hungry and then got well filled up.

      Everything went well for a while and I was feeling pretty big when all at once I became pretty small. The horse was hitched by someone who failed to fasten the shafts to the harness and on going up a little hill I got too far back on the load and all at once the shafts flew up and hind end hit the road. The horse stopped and there I was, scared badly. The old horse stood there as sober as a judge and looked back at me. I climbed up on the shaft but no go. That end was still too light. Then I got down and tried to lift the hind end, but no go there. I was many miles from any place. What to do, I did not know. I got up on the load and sat down. What was to become of me or how I was ever to get home, I did not know. I got up on the load and sat down. Finally I spied three policemen coming towards me. I felt sure they were after me and then I began to cry. When they came up I told them I hadn't done anything and they laughed at me. They took hold and straightened up the load, fastened the shafts properly and told me to mind my own business and go on. Finally, after dark I got home all right, but I will never forget that trip. I could go right now to the very spot on the road where so long ago I was so badly up against it and for a long time a very sad and lonely boy.

      fantino added this on 5 May 2012 to Ancestry

Home Page |  What's New |  Most Wanted |  Surnames |  Photos |  Histories |  Documents |  Cemeteries |  Places |  Dates |  Reports |  Sources