1825 - 1905 (~ 80 years)
||John S Abernathy |
||Parke County, Indiana
||21 Oct 1905
||Blakesburg, Wapello County, Iowa
||Blakesburg Cemetery Blakesburg, Wapello County, Iowa
||Abernathy, William and Sarah Samuels
||1 Dec 2013 |
||John Andrew Abernathy, b. 09 Oct 1796, Warm Springs, Bath County, Virginia , d. 11 May 1871, Richland, Keokuk County, Iowa (Age 74 years) |
||Catharine Lancaster or Nonkester or Nonchester or Nungesser, b. May 1803, Delaware County, Pennsylvania , d. 2 Aug 1851, Agency, Wapello County, Iowa (Age ~ 48 years) |
||12 May 1818
||Ross County, Ohio
||Lucy Ann Barnes, b. 24 Apr 1829, Mercer County, Kentucky , d. 27 Jul 1918, Wright County, Iowa (Age 89 years) |
|+||1. Moses Henry Abernathy, b. 3 May 1850, Wapello County, Iowa , d. 1929, Blakesburg, Wapello County, Iowa (Age 78 years)|
| ||2. George W Abernathy, b. 1854, Wapello County, Iowa , d. 1939, Wayne County, Iowa (Age 85 years)|
| ||3. Nancy Abernathy, b. 1859, Sullivan County, Missouri |
| ||4. Jane Abernathy, b. Abt 1865, Iowa |
- From Kansapedia, Kansas Historical Society
One of the Kansas' earliest and most successful businesses was the furniture company established in 1856 by James Abernathy and siblings William and John. Abernathy Brothers Furniture of Leavenworth became a highly visible regional business that lasted nearly a century.
James Abernathy was the most prominent of the three brothers, apparently made successful by personal ambition and (like others of his generation) service in the Civil War. Born in 1833 in Warren County, Ohio, he settled in Leavenworth in 1856. James and brother William opened a retail furniture business in the thriving city on the Kansas side of the Missouri River.
During the Civil War, James became captain of a company of the Eighth Kansas Volunteer Infantry, eventually rising to the rank of lieutenant colonel. William expanded the business during the war, operating a wholesale and retail furniture store in Kansas City. James took control of William's interests when the latter died in 1869. Brother John also became a partner, although the dates of his involvement are unclear.
James clearly dominated the business. In addition to the furniture operation, he was involved in banking and insurance, served as mayor of Leavenworth, and was on the committee to place Kansas monuments on Civil War battlefields at Chattanooga and Chickamauga. He died in Leavenworth in 1902.
Abernathy Brothers continued to operate its plants at Leavenworth into the 1940s, and in the West Bottoms of Kansas City into the early 1950s. Buildings from both plants still stand today. The furniture manufactured by the Abernathy plants is of good quality and serviceable, although not particularly innovative.
The Kansas Museum of History collections include a few pieces of Abernathy furniture:
Oak sofa bed in the Mission style (top, right). View the mattress and the patent plate. Purchased by the Cinzell family of McLouth in 1918, and later used in the offices of Jay Cross Masonry, also of McLouth, before being donated in 1984.
Maple crib that held the infant daughter of Dr. F.N. and Edna Stephens of Parsons in 1937. Virginia Stephens Peak later donated her childhood crib to the museum.
Office chair dating from the early 20th century. Originally purchased by the LaRosh family and later used by LaVern Noyes in his insurance office, both locations in Osborne County. Donated by LaVern's grandson, Brad Noyes.
Abernathy, Doughty & Hall, wholesale and retail furniture manufacturers and dealers in carpets, Nos. 227 and 231 Delaware street. In 1856, J. L. Abernathy, the senior member of the above firm, established his business in Leavenworth. A few years afterward he admitted John N. into partnership, and under the firm name of Abernathy Bros., they conducted the business for twelve years. In April, 1880, E. L. Doughty and J. C. Hall were admitted into partnership with J. L. Abernathy, forming the firm as above named, J. N. Abernathy giving his entire time and attention to the furniture factory. This establishment, corner of Second and Seneca streets, is conducted by Abernathy Bros. & Co., and supplies the house with the different styles of substantial, rich and elegant furniture, displayed and stored in the fine three-story brick structure on Delaware street. The store is 75 x 120 feet, three stories and basement. The ground floor is divided into two compartments, one being for storing unfinished furniture, the other used for office purposes, and sales and sample room for different styles of chamber sets, book cases, sideboards, wardrobes, etc. The second floor is the salesroom for parlor furniture, carpets, lace curtains and oil cloth. The third floor is used for finishing all grades of furniture and for upholstering, and the basement for storage and packing purposes. The goods of the house are distributed throughout the West. Some idea of the magnitude of its transactions may be obtained when it is stated that the firm employ 125 men, and transact and annual business amounting to $225,000